What To Do When Your Home Floods From A Storm
We are no strangers to flooding and storms here in Texas. Hurricane Harvey wreaked havoc on our community in Houston. The damage from water and flooding is extremely destructive and potentially dangerous. If not addressed quickly and in the right way, damages will just increase. Here is what we at ServiceMaster by Century recommend you should do when your home floods from a storm:
- Call a restoration company. ServiceMaster Restoration by Century has restoration professionals on call 24/7 to help you secure your property, clean up the mess, and repair and rebuild your property. The first steps you take will set the tone for the entire cleanup process, so be sure you have us on your side to ensure a successful flood damage cleanup and restoration.
- Contact your Insurance Agency. Most homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover water damage from natural disasters, so it is a good idea to add a flood insurance policy. Regardless of what coverage you may or may not have, you should still reach out to your insurance and let them know what has happened. You should also let your insurance know that you are working with a restoration company to mitigate damage and begin flood cleanup as soon as possible.
- Do not enter a storm flooded home until a qualified structural engineer, builder, or restoration professional has cleared it. Structural integrity, harmful contaminants, and potential electric shock are all dangers that accompany flooded areas; do not risk putting yourself in harm’s way.
- Take appropriate safety steps. If able, turn off the power and gas sources. Keep children and pets out of the flooded area, and treat all water as if it is contaminated. Wear personal protective equipment if you have to be in contact with the water, but try to avoid contact at all costs.
- Document the damage. Take photos or videos of the damage your property has ensued for insurance purposes to prove loss mitigation before you begin the cleanup.
- Open doors and windows to allow ventilation. Airflow can help discourage microbial growth and spread.
- Remove standing items that can be taken out of the affected area.
- Let the restoration team handle the cleanup process from start and finish.
It is so important to have a restoration company on your side when dealing with the devastation that comes after a flood. ServiceMaster Restoration by Century uses advanced products, procedures, and equipment to provide the highest level of service following flood damage. We can handle all types and sizes of water damage cleanup and are a highly reputable, licensed, insured, and endorsed restoration provider serving the Houston and San Antonio areas. A quick response will make all the difference in having a successful restoration and mitigating the damage caused by floods. Knowing how to respond, what to do and what not to do, will help to keep you and your family safe, and get the cleanup process started right away. Our highly trained staff at ServiceMaster is always ready to assist you in taking the first step in flood cleanup for your property.