Fire damage can occur at a moments notice, and from countless causes. The best fire protection for your property is prevention. We at ServiceMaster Restoration by Century promise that by implementing the following suggestions in your Galveston home or business, you can help prevent fires and respond quickly if they do occur.
Install smoke alarms throughout your property. Every level of your building, inside and outside sleeping areas, should have smoke alarms. Be sure to check your smoke alarms regularly. If they are not working correctly, change them out. You should also change the batteries at least once a year, before they run out. Most smoke alarms expire after 10 years. If yours are older than that, install new ones. Working smoke alarms reduce the chances of fire fatality by nearly 50%. They are critical for warning when fire is present, and are the first step in the evacuation process, so be sure that they are working correctly.
Create and practice a fire escape plan with everyone in your building. An effective fire escape plan should have 2 exits out of every room. Designate a safe meeting place outside that is a safe distance away, and in a place that is easily seen and accessible. Practice the escape plan regularly so that everyone in your property is aware of how to get out if a fire occurs. Having a practiced escape plan in place will greatly increase the chance of a safe and fast evacuation for all inside.
Keep flammable objects and materials in safe places. Keep matches high and out of reach of children, and valves on gas tanks turned off when not in use. Do not leave space heaters on in unoccupied rooms, and keep them at least 3 feet away from any flammable items. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn, and always blow them out when leaving the room.
Do not over plug outlets. When too much current is running through a single outlet or extension cord, they can overheat and fires can occur. Do not plug multiple appliances into the same electrical socket. If you have multiple cords that need power, use a surge protector. If cords feel hot after being plugged in for extended amounts of time, unplug them until they cool down.
Be aware and cautious in the kitchen. Kitchen fires are leading sources for house fires, and most can be completely avoidable. Do not leave a hot oven or stovetop unattended, and keep a fire extinguisher on hand and easily accessible in the kitchen. Be informed on how to handle grease fires, and keep things like baking soda or flour near the heat source when cooking with oils.
If there is a fire in your home or building, get out, stay out, and call for help immediately. Do not go back into the home or building. Wait until professionals arrive and deem the area safe before returning.
Fire damage is often complicated, and fire damage restoration involves restoring damage from the fire itself, restoring items affected by smoke and soot, and even restoring water damage caused by firefighting efforts. ServiceMaster Restoration by Century provides full restoration for commercial properties and buildings damaged by fire. We can handle all aspects of fire damage restoration, and when you call ServiceMaster you can be assured that we will restore your property to its pre-loss condition quickly, and with quality workmanship.